Heroes of a Distant Star
Hod Tartan AKA Dr. Croaker
Ideas for Hod’s story-- Sigus Kook and Opo Zoo- Hod somehow picks up on the trail of Sigus Kook. Unknown to Hod, Sigus Kook is on the trail of Opo Zoo. Opo Zoo is on the trail of Hod. I imagine this to be played out something like rock, paper, scissors. Hod beats Sigus Kook, Sigus Kook beats Opo Zoo and Opo Zoo beats Hod. Since they are all after one another they may often come into contact, but due to the nature of the situation none of them ever win out. When Sigus Kook was nearly killed he lost a number of body parts. He was fitted with second hand prosthetic components. Because of this Sigus Kook makes a very distinct whirring noise, almost like a clock, when he breathes. Hod knows this whirring sound all too well and whenever he hears it he knows that Sigus Kook is near. Luckily for Hod, Sigus Kook is a notorious bragger and teller of tall tales. He does not need to be somewhere long before rumors of his activities are made public knowledge. Opo Zoo is an albino Twi’lek with pink eyes. He is in pursuit of Hod, either because he is a bounty hunter working for Timo and Iggo, or else he is part of the cult in search of Hod, (see below)
- Hod’s addiction to spice and his obligation should center more on the spice’s effects when used rather than on the withdrawal symptoms caused by lack of it. This spice is mildly hallucinogenic and I imagine these mild hallucinations to be the thing which hinders him most. Perhaps Iggo the Hutt was somewhat correct and the spice actually does put users in touch with “paraplasmic radio waves” for lack of a better term. These signals could manifest as auditory hallucinations and may have something to do with the group’s future.
- Hod has a tattoo on the top of his left hand, directly above his middle and ring fingers. He has had it for as long as he remembers. His mother once told him that it was a sort of brand marking him as one of Timo the Hutt’s possessions, but none of Timo’s other slaves seemed to have a similar tattoo. Hod has always thought that the tattoo has something to do with his father, whom his mother was so closed about. Actually, the tattoo was put there by a cult of Twi’leks from Ryloth whom regarded Hod as a reincarnation of their god. They had many names for this god: The Great Galactic Ghoul, god Under the Golden Heel, The Serpent of Many Tentacles, Lord of Milk, Honey, Fire, Blood and Iron. The cult’s symbol was the tattoo on Hod’s left hand. Hod’s father was the leader of this cult and had great plans for his son. Hod’s mother on the other hand was more apprehensive and after the cult put their mark on him she fled Ryloth with her young child. It wasn’t long before she was captured by a group of Timo’s men and forced into slavery. She was determined however, that her son would never have knowledge of his father’s cultist activity. The cult of the Serpent with many Tentacles still exists on Ryloth, and although Hod’s father died some years ago, his numerous followers still believe Hod to be the living incarnation of their god. After Hod’s father’s death, a group of core members set out in search of Hod and continue to seek him to this day. They would recognize Hod by the tattoo on his left hand.
- Other people almost always assume that Hod is of a higher social standing than what he really is. He is often seen as having the status of something comparable to a Baron or Duke.
- Due to his friendship with OZ-85, Hod is very empathetic to droids and very much against the idea memory wipes. In a way he feels more akin to some droids, recognizing them as fellow victims of forced servitude.
- Hod likes people to believe that he is a graduate of an accredited university on Ryloth with numerous degrees in medicine, psychology, neurology, and generally any sort of schooling he can pass off as real.
- Hod does not have strong beliefs about the Empire either way, though he does have some problems with authority, unless he has respect for the one giving orders. He does not like to be told what to do but will often be more than willing to comply if he is only asked. Once a person has shown themselves to be worthy of his respect he can be incredibly loyal.
- Hod has a particular dislike for Hutts. He still has a desire to kill both Timo and Iggo.
- Hod has mixed feelings about clones. He feels that their existence will inevitably lead to new and terrible types of control. Unfortunately, his years of service to Iggo the Hutt have left him somewhat disconnected from other life forms. This is a sort of defense mechanism Hod developed to help him cope with the bizarre experiments Iggo made him conduct on peoples of many races. So he does have a somewhat skewed scientific interest in them.
- Hod has no interest in pod racing. He has seen the carnage that can result from it. It is barbaric and unnecessary. Ultimately, a way of keeping the people subdued. Entertain for those in positions of power at the expense of the common man.
- Hod does not show it, but he has a somewhat twisted scientific interest in inter-species sex. This is not a sexual interest of his own. It is purely academic.
- Despite Hod’s dislike of authority he has a subconscious desire for power of his own. Perhaps this is due to his years of powerless servitude to the Hutts. Or perhaps his masters had more of an influence of his nature than he would want. A little bit of power can go to his head.